Pages

Monday 9 March 2015

Protactinium: Planning, week 2

So I have discovered that it is a common occurrence to end up having not enough time to prepare for the tutorials. However, review time is a bit easier to acquire, since I can just review the tutorial at university, directly after the tutorial has been completed.

I have come up with a more efficient strategy for tutorial planning: I will simply note down dot points of my plan without writing down my justifications, then I will explain them in further depth in the review. Writing down takes time, and I can think much faster than I type (150wpm).




If I have more time to plan the tutorials, I will endeavour to make sure that I write down justifications for each idea. Justifying an idea verbally helps to identify flaws in it, and to formalise the reasons behind I am doing it.

For example, sometimes I might trick myself into doing something that has a low value/effort ratio, because I am too focused on the idea. Writing it down will help me logically list and rationally assess the benefits of any particular idea/activity.

When you introduce time limitations to teaching planning, it becomes a bit more fun, I think. It's kind of like Starcraft, where you're simultaneously planning and executing your strategy, where your brain is overloaded to 100% CPU and you're struggling to simultaneously keep attacks and defenses afloat.

This is a war, and we are soldiers.
What if tomorrow, the war could be over?
Isn't that something worth fighting for?



Speaking of war, I'd better get started. No war was won via contemplation.

-----

Unordered summary of tasks I need to do:
- Arrive early and set up computer beforehand. Welcome people into tutorial and make eye contact and call them by name.
- Appear friendly
- online account, online group.
- How to email tutor
- Make sure you positively let them know that it is important to keep up to date
- Deliberately screw up teaching examples to let them know it's ok to screw up. be very positive when they tell me that I screwed up. Try not to screw up too much otherwise I will lose the respect of the students (but maybe this is ok) (joke about having no job if everything works perfectly)
- Lightly encourage to put up real profile images (insert joke about identifying people and me being bad with names)
- Talk briefly about what is linux
- Linux exercise: show them a directory structure and get them to escape the maze of directories by writing down unix instructions on a piece of paper
- C exercise: similar, but they also have to compile, debug, and run the C program.
- Talk briefly about what is C
- Write main takeaways on board
- Commendations of excellent work online (open in laptop beforehand). link to content as much as possible.
- Funny story about windows virus
- Notify first assignment
- Think about discussing lecture notes (5, 36) - relate to exam (note people are interested in different things, keep their attention up)
- Talk about leap year exercise, which they will do in labs.
- Installfest run by on Thursday, 12th March, 3-7pm in K17 seminar room.
- lab partners
note: DO ADMIN STUFF 1-1 IN THE LAB SO IT IS 100% DONE
- class rep: how to elect? (get them to join class rep group)
- good pair
- roll (during lab time)

Main takeaways:
- Linux: file system
- C: compile and run
- Link last week's content (Abstraction, Specificity, Microprocessors) link the goddamn domain knowledge

Clean ordered summary:
TUTORIAL
- Set up computer. Welcome people by name.
- Gather friendly energy
- Start with cool demo
- Keep up to date - portfolio
- Openlearning commendations
- Main takeaways
- What is linux?
- Funny story about windows virus
- Brief demo of linux
- Linux maze exercise
- Start leapyear in maze
- Back to main takeaways
- Elect class rep
- Lecture notes

LAB
- Ensure online account and online group
- Comment on profile images
- Make sure they do know how to email me
- Confirm lab partners
- Pick one pair for code review
- Notify first assignment
- Note names down for roll

POST-TUTORIAL
- home install linux event
- reminder assignment again

No comments:

Post a Comment