Pages

Friday 20 March 2015

Self-improvement

Today I posted on a Facebook page giving advice for another tutor. Here was part of the response:

"re 1: this is something I make a huge effort towards. I never dismiss anything as a stupid question, I always ask if anyone has questions about anything and spend a lot of time getting class discussions going on whatever people want to talk about. I'm a master at the whole "yes but" rather than "no" thing. I'm supposedly pretty good at all of the above, since I do have a history of a lot of great, balanced class discussions with everyone contributing and nobody being left out, and even my other class is fine with this, so I don't think it's that specifically; or maybe it's something where if I have a majority of students who are something then the class discussions manage to build off that, so maybe having a less something class is causing it to snowball?"

I suppose this is why ordinary people have trouble achieving grandmastery.

When I read things like this, I am reminded of how much I was changed by my losses in Starcraft (http://roadtograndmaster.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/welcome-to-teaching-tree.html).

Most people choose not to look upwards, for it reminds them of how low they are on the mountain. Most prefer to stay where they are.

It is good that they are happy with that, but I can't help feeling like the students deserve better.

No comments:

Post a Comment